Tuesday, January 13, 2009

SCOREDATE-01132009

Sorry to anyone who was listening to the show this morning and missed my voice; I had obligations on Sycamore Street in Greensboro. Unfamiliar? Court. Which leads me to todays blog regarding a sport called: Life. It’s not a game.

This past Summer I was involved a situation that has me facing 120 days in jail. What? None of your business! Get what I give you.

Anyways….

This morning it all came to a head. Courtroom 2c at 9 am. I’m fly as a pelican though. Got my Gucci shades on, my slacks and my sweater, scarf and peacoat; Feel like Diddy going to get Shyne locked up. Feel like paparazzi should be here… Where are they?!

I get to the courthouse around 8:50 am. Because I’m no novice to this place, I proceed in the usual fashion into the building; the entrance from Washington Street. I was redirected to another entrance around the building, up the steps, in the back. As I walk up the steps I see “literally” hundreds of people swarming to get into a single file line to enter the building. Last thing I could remember was Afrika on the air saying it was 34 degrees. I think she was off a couple. It was BRICK OUT! So I “accidently” don’t know where I’m going and on “accidental purpose” (look it up) I jump maybe 2-3 hundred people. Sorry about that.

Get into the courthouse (which it sort of like getting on a plane, except you don’t have to take your shoes off) and now it’s time to find my courtroom.

COURTROOM 2C

I walk in the double door, proceed down the aisle, to the front, and state my name. They verify my lawyers name and instruct me to sit down until he arrives. I see an open seat to my left. Front row. Only one guy in-between me and the aisle once I sit down. "Excuse me man" I say as I scoot pass him to plant it.(and he is visibly shaking non stop) To my left is a 16 year old Caucasian male who is using repetitive curse words to his mom who sits to his immediate left: “Don’t f***ing worry about it Mom. You don’t know what the f*** you’re talking about Mom. Where’s the f***ing lawyer Mom?” He’s facing 12 counts of larceny.

Then enters a 16 year old Junior in high school, she's wearing a one piece that reads, “Guilford County Jail”, on the back. Hands and feet in shackles. She’s been locked up since November 8th on 13 counts of larceny. Her grandmother could’ve posted her bail but SHE’S the victim; so she decided to teach her some tough love. Tough.

The man beside me will NOT stop shaking though. Even when his lawyer steps over and says to him: “I know you’re looking at 45 days, but I think we can send you home today. The Judge is a kind lady. She has a good heart. We can also continue it but we don’t know how the next judge will be. It’s a roll of the dice, but we can try it today and just hope for the best”. He agrees, but it does not stop the shakes. At one point, the bench vibrated. That’s when I looked at him and said, “I’m praying for you brother”. He looked at me with the innocence of a toddler and said “thank you man.”

ALL RISE. The honorable Judge blah blah blah…..

I should’ve listened to her name. And where the heck’s MY lawyer?!?! Cases are being called and I’m just sitting. The cursing 16 year old gets off with a work release program. The Junior get’s the cuffs off and she’ll get to go home to her grandma. With tears streaming down her cheek she vowed to never mess up again and NEVER return to a courtroom.

Dang. The judge IS nice. And then, in walks My Guy. Sharp as a Spartan sword. Makes me want to check my posture and put my shades back on. He’s smiling and being jovial with the DA. Work your magic my dude!!! Then he looks at me, nods, and directs his eyes, instructing me to go into the hallway to talk. At the exact same time, they call my shivering homie to my right.

I exit the courtroom.

My lawyer informs me I’m facing no time. They’ve dropped my charge to a misdemeanor. I’ll get minimal community service. But we can’t try the case today. Why? Because his wife is the judge presiding over courtroom 2c today and it’ll be a conflict of interest. Are you freaking kidding me?!?! I was instructed to return in 2 weeks and allowed to leave the courthouse.

It was STILL brick out. But I was thankful to feel the cold air! Once I got in the car, I remembered my shivering friend. I’ll never know if he got to leave that courtroom; my prayers to him and his family.

Hope you enjoyed this excerpt from my life; keep me in your prayers.

Chuuch

5 comments:

  1. Daht, Man you are so NICE with your descriptions. I felt like I was there. but on the real, I am praying for you. It is crazy how things happen. I guess that is why your lawyer was late. He knew what was good. As you know, God has a plan for your life, so it is evident that it isn't being in Jail for 120days. God bless you Daht. Keep giving the ppl what they want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Very descriptive!! I enjoy you on the air AND on the internet!!! You're the man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - you clearly have someone looking out for you and you're very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you didn't have to go in the slammer! I don't know what I'd do without you around to make me laugh, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Daht! I wonder what happend to that guy you where sitting next too??? I hope the guy is okay! LMAO @ "THE BENCH VIBRATING" FUNNNNNY! But the lord works in mysterious ways....until the next courtroom post...Good luck and you're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete